J.D., Summa Cum Laude, University of Arizona College of Law (1991)
B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, Arizona State University (1988)
The Honorable Harlington Wood
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
7th Circuit Court of Appeals
Various District Courts
Shawna Ballard is a Partner at Reichman Jorgensen’s Silicon Valley office. Shawna is known for her ability to develop cohesive and effective case strategies in complex, multi-faceted cases. Shawna has represented clients in a variety of complex business litigation, trial and arbitration matters.
In her broad-based practice, Shawna has handled matters involving energy servicing agreements, long-term power agreements, asset purchase and servicing agreements, patent infringement Lanham Act, securities transactions, real estate mortgage-backed securities, fraud, unfair competition, trade secrets, real estate financing, corporate restructurings, director and officer liability, trusts, and fiduciary duties.
• Represents Alcoa affiliate in litigation in contractual disputes involving the wind-down of an alumina plant in Gregory Texas.
• Represents Les Mills regarding contract and intellectual property matters.
• Represents several prisoners in a Section 1983 cases challenging California’s Guard One system and related practices that result in severe sleep deprivation for prisoners in solitary confinement.
• Represented Fleetcor Technologies in litigation with Chevron in broad-based contractual disputes pertaining to purchase and servicing agreements with respect to a credit card portfolio of Chevron-branded cards.
• Represented Allure Energy in patent infringement litigation involving Allure’s patented proximity detection technology.
• Represented Merial in Lanham Act litigation involving its FRONTLINE® PLUS and HEARTGARD® products.
• Represented Principal, Aegon, AIG, PIMCO and Oaktree in actions against Wall Street investment banks in connection with the purchase of more than $1 billion in Enron and Enron-related securities.
• Represented Principal, Aegon, Allstate, Prudential and John Hancock against Bank of America in connection with private placements of securities sponsored and guaranteed by Parmalat S.p.A.
• Represented banks accused of aiding and abetting a ponzi scheme.
• Represented the founder of Priceline® in the defense of a securities class action.
• Represented Maguire Properties in several arbitrations regarding the financing and development of the Playa Vista project in Los Angeles.
• Represented investment funds to recover losses relating to investments in a failed Thai steel plant.
• Represented the Creditor’s Committee for Trenwick America regarding potential litigation claims stemming from corporate restructuring transactions.
• Represented the bankruptcy estate for SmarTalk Teleservices in a dispute with Fletcher Asset Management regarding Fletcher’s pre-petition investment in SmartTalk.
• Defended a director in an SEC civil enforcement action relating to merger and spin-off transactions with Merck.
• Represented Paragon Homes in a trial against its financing partners.