J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1977
A.B., magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1973
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
United States District Court, E.D. New York
United States District Court, S.D. New York
Michael has more than 40 years’ experience trying civil and criminal cases and leading litigation practices in major law firms. He has served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, as the founder and long-time head of the U.S. litigation practice at Allen & Overy LLP, and as a partner and head of the litigation practice at Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP. Michael is a Fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers and has tried over 50 cases during his career. He is also ranked among the nation’s leading White Collar Defense and Commercial Litigation attorneys by Chambers USA, which describes him as "a very effective lawyer," and notes he’s “efficient, offers good judgment and is a pleasure to work with."
Michael has represented financial institutions, Fortune 500 companies, judges, law firms, accounting firms, political figures, and senior executives across a broad range of complex disputes. His lead counsel experience includes high-profile matters involving antitrust, securities fraud, healthcare fraud, professional liability, and white collar defense.
Michael also maintains an active pro bono practice, including serving on the trial team representing the plaintiffs – families of victims of handgun violence – in Hamilton v. Accu-Tek, a two-month trial in the Eastern District of New York against all the major handgun manufacturers. His community activities include serving on the Boards of Directors of the 92d Street Y and the Appalachian Mountain Club, the Leadership Council of Facing History and Ourselves, the Lawyers Committee of The Innocence Project, and the Dean’s Advisory Council of Harvard Law School.
Michael is a cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and a magna cum laude graduate of Harvard College.
· Defending Barclays Bank in a multidistrict civil antitrust litigation in the Southern District of New York concerning the London Gold Fixing.
· Defending NatWest Capital Markets in litigations arising out of Bernard Madoff securities fraud.
· Defending an executive of broiler chicken supplier in a federal criminal antitrust case involving the broiler chicken industry.
· The successful defense and acquittal of the CEO and Chairman of C.R. Bard, Inc. in a seven-week federal criminal trial in the District of Massachusetts alleging health care fraud.
· The successful defense and acquittal of Judge Hortense W. Gabel in a 14-week federal criminal trial in the Southern District of New York, United States v. Bess Myerson, Andy Capasso and Hortense Gabel.
· Representation of former of Speaker of the New York State Assembly Sheldon Silver in the retrial of a federal criminal case in the Southern District of New York.
· The successful defense of a major international law firm based in New York in a trial in New York state court involving allegations of malpractice.
· “Governmental Entity Litigation,” chapter in treatise Commercial Litigation in the New York State Courts
· “The Right to Cross-Examine Government Witnesses: Crawford and Beyond,” chapter in treatise Defending Federal Criminal Cases